The (long) History of my DIY Steward Platform (Part 2)
Phoenix
After spending six years in the basement, the motion platform finally saw daylight again in January 2026.
Apart from a thick layer of dust, both the mechanics and electronics seemed to have survived their long hibernation surprisingly well.
After a bit of cleaning, things were already looking much better.
Originally, I thought mounting the switches directly on the crank’s rotation axis was a clever idea. I liked that adjusting the switches would always keep their distance from the rotation axis the same. The downside was that there wasn’t much room for the clamping collar, so even before I put the platform into storage, the limit switch mounting plate had worked loose or rotated several times.
After that, everything is securely fixed in place. Fine adjustment of the trigger point is then done by rotating the yellow endstop rails.
More CAN-Bus
Besides the mechanical improvements, I also wanted to upgrade the motor control electronics.
I was generally happy with the three Sabertooth 2x25 motor drivers, and the Kangaroo motion controllers had also been working well. Until now, however, all three Kangaroos were connected to a shared serial bus, with a central Arduino translating the serial commands from BFF Motion into commands for the Kangaroos. Not only was this setup less than ideal in terms of reliability and noise immunity, but the Arduino firmware I had written six or seven years ago had also become a weak point.
After my positive experience using CAN bus for the dashboard instruments, and everything I learned while developing that system, I decided to move the motion controller communication to CAN as well.
Each Sabertooth/Kangaroo unit now has its own Arduino Nano and CAN bus transceiver. Unlike the dashboard instruments, I didn’t need a DC-DC converter to step the 12 V CAN bus supply down to 5 V, since the Kangaroo controllers already provide a regulated 5 V output.
As with the instrument modules, I designed a small carrier board for the Arduino, the CAN transceiver, and a status LED, then manufactured the boards myself using my usual 3D printing and copper foil technique.
Finally, I enclosed the entire control unit in a custom housing. After more than ten years, the Sabertooth drivers and their control electronics are finally protected by a proper enclosure that’s both neat and much harder to accidentally step on.
As for the other end of the CAN bus, meaning the motion controller and the generation of the control data, as well as everything related to the upper structure of the motion platform, I’ll have to leave that for the next part of this series.
See you then!
Comments
Post a Comment